Thursday, July 28, 2011

Step Right Up

Recently I did a design for a zine called Illustrious Voyeur and the theme this month was circus, and I came up with these two characters Max and Mirrabelle an acrobatic high wire act.
the zine is only printed in black and white, but I wanted a colored version so I painted it in watercolors then turned it into black and white in photoshop


after these though I got a bit obsessed with who these characters are and the world they come from and began forming a story around them which oddly these two are now only side characters.  This circus world revolves around a young girl called Ina whose magical illusions are very real and who goes to live with her grandfather (an illustionist performing in this circus) in order to learn how to control her gift. Not exactly sure what this will develop into whether childrens book or graphic novel I don't know what the age range would be but its a lot of fun coming up with this world.
character development of Ina
sketches for mural panel
I am also trying to incorporate the story of Ina into a mural contest at a childrens hospital that is going on, so I'll keep the blog up to date on my progress because working on a 4ft by 4ft panel is going to be completely new for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment